Dining Room Update


Happy weekend! Here at the Midtown Modern, Mikael and I have been busy working on the dining room and foyer. Ever since we attended Old Home Expo, Mikael has been laser focused on repairing plaster - so that has left me with the task of painting. Thankfully, these two rooms only needed some TLC in the form of removing curtains, plaster repair, and fresh paint. 

The curtains were the #1 biggest issue initially. We discovered as we tried to take them down that instead of being run on simply a rail, the second layer of curtains were actually nailed and caulked into the wall/ceiling. Awful, right? It took my dad coming up to KC and helping muscle them down that we were actually able to get them down. Ugh. It's amazing how we haven't completely boycotted buying curtains as a result of the trauma of dealing with those that were left with the house. 


The second problem was dealing with the cracking plaster. After pulling down the curtain rail that was caulked to the wall, chunks of plaster had flaked off. Also, the east wall was pretty uneven after a shoddy patching job way back when. So Mikael was focused on fixing those issues. He used plaster washers, drywall screws, concrete fortifier, lock-tight adhesive, and gypsum plaster to makeover the walls. Honestly, I have no idea what half of those things are, but Mikael researched the heck out of the topic and then took a chance of doing it on his own. Thankfully, it paid off and the wall is the smoothest of them all in the dining room!


My biggest challenge was deciding on a paint color. I chose initially to try "Oxford Blue" by Benjamin Moore, but I feared that in certain lighting it might look more like lavender - NOT what I was going for. So I tried out a grey that was in the same family as the one in the living room, but it too took on too much of a blue hue. You can see the color in the space above.


Finally, after some Pinterest research, I settled on trying Benjamin Moore's Chelsea Grey - the perfect neutral medium grey. I love how it pops and contrasts against the rich brown woodwork, in a way that neutralizes the orange tones in the wood stain. It looks just so classy and modern and I just can imagine how beautifully it will pair with gold and copper accents, like my Moscow Mule cups and gold detailed bar cart. So I painted the room all on my own as Mikael completed plaster repair and cleaning the floors of construction dust.

Eventually we plan on moving the chandelier from the foyer into the dining room because it matches the one in the living room. Then we'll put in a larger statement chandelier in the foyer. The cute little hutch in the corner (seen above) is housing our wedding china, but unfortunately it just seemed to blend into the background of the wood panelling. So I've updated it by hanging art deco paper in the back to help the hutch pop. (Pictures coming soon!)

I cannot wait to share the final reveal of the room. Right now it is in a state of minor chaos as the tools for plaster repair and painting are still occupying much of the space as we continue on with updating the foyer. I promise to show it off soon - complete with a bar cart, a dining table, and six chairs!

No comments